5 C
New York
Thursday, February 19, 2026

MotoGP’s decision to ditch Phillip Island for the Adelaide street circuit is absolutely stupid for rider safety.


Countless people have expressed displeasure with MotoGP after the decision to move the Australian Grand Prix to Adelaide’s street circuit, and it’s not hard to see why.

In the year From 2027, the Phillip Island circuit, popular with fans and many riders for its insanely fast layouts on the grid, will no longer host the service. Australian Grand Prix.

As much as the Victorian government tried to put it on the calendar, including rejecting a proposal to move it to Albert Park, Phillip Island will leave MotoGP and replace it with the Adelaide road circuit, marking MotoGP history, but not in a good way.

Dorna, now MotoGP Sports Entertainment, was pushing for a new venue for the Australian GP. Bend was considered an option.But Adelaide had backup, with Freedom media Openly exploring the idea of ​​joining the Street Circuits calendar.

When the American media company took over MotoGP last year, many expressed concern about what the sport would look like, given what had happened in Formula 1. Joining the street circuit calendar is their first look at ownership, and it’s a step back.

At the start of the race, riders are seen in action
Photo by Steven Blackberry/SOPA Images/Lightrocket by Getty Images

MotoGP has taken a step back for rider safety by replacing Phillip Island with the Adelaide street circuit.

Rumors of road circuits coming to MotoGP are nothing new and have been in the works since the release of Liberty. Not surprisingly, these ideas were immediately met with much criticism.

In fact, when it was first proposed. MotoGP fans will be out If freedom introduces road districts. Needless to say, how dangerous it is when a rider comes down a bike at high speed and hits a concrete wall.

Despite advanced safety measures, including airbags and protective airbags, driving on the street can significantly increase the risk. Of course, the governing body knows this, hence why when Albert Park convenes for the Australian GP, ​​big finishes are on offer.

This and safe barriers are essential for Adelaide by 2027. But even with these measures, moving to a street circuit in the first place is a step backwards from MotoGP, which has worked hard for years to improve rider safety.

Phillip Island has produced some great moments over the years and is popular with all. Freedom of movement on a street circuit indicates that the focus is on the spectacle of the sport rather than the performance of the competition and the safety of the passengers.

Read more: Everything you need to know about the Australian Grand Prix, including Phillip Island circuit stats and past winners

MotoGP legend Casey Stoner appeared at the 2025 Austrian Grand Prix
Photo by Mirco Lazzari gp/Getty Images

Several key people agree that leaving Phillip Island MotoGP was a big mistake.

Several key figures, including Casey Stoner, criticized the decision to drop Phillip Island from the calendar.

Valentino Rossi says losing Phillip Island from MotoGP is a ‘huge shame’. He won the circuit eight times in his motorcycle career.

MotoGP fans think losing Phillip Island is a ‘terrible mistake’ From sports. Many expressed anger that the street circuit would replace it, with many concerned about the safety of the location.

Ironically, MotoGP’s only Australian rider, ‘It’s fantastic news,’ said Adelaide’s Jack Miller. For the sport, the city will attract an international audience, saying it is ‘very good’. Only time will tell if the event and the track will be successful.



Source link

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -