2.8 C
New York
Thursday, February 19, 2026

Keith Huen called the decision to move the Australian Grand Prix away from Phillip Island ‘sad’.



Phillip Island to drop MotoGP calendar ‘sad’ says Keith Huen. The news was confirmed in a press release on Thursday.

The iconic circuit will host the final race at the end of October after negotiations over a contract extension failed. Controversially, the show moves to a street circuit in Adelaide.

There have been rumors that MotoGP is set to start racing at city venues after F1 owners Liberty Media completed its takeover of the sport last year. The move is bound to pose a threat to the safety of motorists.

Phillip Island hosted first Australian Grand Prix In the year It did so in 1989 and continuously since 1997, barring a two-year hiatus for the coronavirus pandemic.

‘It’s about money’, says Keith Huen as Phillip Island drops from MotoGP calendar

Writing on Xformer Grand Prix rider Keith Huewen called the Phillip Island news ‘sad’.

The 2.8-mile layout has made for some of the most entertaining racing the sport has seen in recent years, but Huen said that’s not the deciding factor.

“It’s not about the track, or Phillip Island will ever doubt it,” he wrote in a follow-up post. “It’s about money. Phillip Island is a fantastic track but it’s very short on everything (unless you like penguins).”

The layout of the circuit has created problems with traffic, and the lack of accommodation has increased the price for attendees.

Huewen also sounded far from enthusiastic Adelaide as a MotoGP venue. The track hosted F1 between 1985 and 1995.

“I believe MotoGP should get safety right, but losing a track like Phillip Island is an excuse for progress,” he said. “2027 is still far away.”

Suzy Perry believes MotoGP has lost its ‘best track’

TNT Sports Responding to the news on X, host Suzy Perry wrote, ‘This was our best track,’ accompanied by an eye-catching image.

In the year Despite a series of dramatic storylines in the 2025 season, including the failure of Francesco Bagnaia’s Ducati and the attempted exit of Jorge Martin’s Aprilia, the on-track production was arguably lacking in quality.

The lack of passing may be a result of the bikes rather than the circuits, but the removal of Phillip Island is arguably a misstep in that regard.

Wayne Gardner said the Australian GP ‘has become very expensive’It suggests that the Victorian Government and AGP Corporation are to blame.



Source link

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -