Richardson Hitchins says he wants Devin Haney next for his first defense of his IBF light welterweight title which he won against champion Liam Paro last Saturday night. Hitchins (19-0, 7 KOs) states that Haney said he would fight him if he captured a belt.
(Credit: Melina Pizano/Matchroom)
One obstacle that could prevent Haney from fighting Hitchins is the IBF’s 10-lb rehydration limit. He will have to keep his weight no higher than 150 overnight after weighing in the morning of the fight for the secondary weigh-in.
If Devin needs to rehydrate to 165, the IBF’s rehydration clause will prevent him. For that reason, he will reject the fight with Hitchins.
Haney (31-0, 15 KOs) does not have a fight lined up after losing to Ryan Garcia earlier this year on April 20th. He has been sitting idle since the last 7 1/2 months.
Will Haney respond?
“Whichever one of the champions wants to fight. Haney said if I get a belt he will fight me. So, let’s do it,” Richardson Hitchins told the media after his victory over IBF light welterweight champion Liam Paro last Saturday night.
“I am ready for any of the top names. I want the biggest fight in boxing. It’s time to secure my legacy. Secure my family and make the biggest battles.”
Hitchins schooled IBF light welterweight champion Paro (25-1, 15 KOs) and beat him by a 12-round unanimous decision at the Coliseo Roberto Clemente, in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The scores were 116-112, 116-112 for Hitchins and 117-111 for Paro.
Paro’s fans feel that he made a mistake by agreeing to fight Hitchins on neutral turf rather than pushing as the champion to have the fight in his native Australia so that he would have the advantage with the fans and the points score. of the competition will have.
It might not have made a difference because Paro was so far out of his class that it might not have mattered if the judges were from Australia.