2.2 C
New York
Saturday, February 21, 2026

Eddie Hearn says Conor Benn refused call before Zuffa deal


“When I received the email from Conor Benn’s lawyer, I texted him and said, ‘I think we should have a call. For everything I’ve done for you, I deserve a call,'” Hearn told IFL TV. “And he said no. I can’t believe it.”

The refusal made it clear that Benn’s decision had already moved beyond negotiation. Hearn indicated that Matchroom was willing to get involved financially, but the absence of direct communication removed any realistic path to retaining him.

“We responded. We’re actually part of the deal, I think we would have come pretty close to it,” Hearn said. “But I think by then it was just the way it played out. To receive an email from the lawyer and then ask for a call and not get the willingness to have a call, I think by then it was just like you lose a little bit of your soul to it.”

Benn’s deal with Zuffa Boxing is reportedly a one-fight deal worth eight figures, allowing him to compete under the new promotion without committing long-term. The structure gives him immediate financial upside while keeping his future open beyond a single appearance.

Hearn acknowledged the business reality behind Benn’s move, but admitted he believes their history and support would have at least led to a direct conversation before any decision was finalized.

“I blame myself,” Hearn said. “I misjudged the character. I just felt that the loyalty we showed would never, ever put us in this position.”

The episode exposes a harsh truth about boxing’s shifting power structure. Benn did not leave through negotiation. He vacated the decision, and Matchroom only learned of it when the result was already sealed.

YouTube video



Source link

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -