Dominique Francis has emerged as a fighter to be reckoned with at 130 pounds.
Francis knocked out Julio Carrera Lugo this past Saturday night at Adventist Health (aka the Stockton) Arena in Stockton, California.
On paper, the Francis-Carrera fight was a compelling clash of undefeated junior lightweight prospects, but Francis immediately asserted himself from the opening bell, dominating the action with his jab, speed and explosive combinations.
During round four, Francis landed a left hook to the body, followed by two right crosses to the head. Francis again landed a devastating left hook to the body that forced Carrera to drop to one knee, where referee Marcos Rosales counted Carrera out at 2:21.
Francis, who lives in Opa Locka, Florida, previously fought in Naucalpan, Mexico on April 6, defeating Uriel Lopez Juarez by unanimous decision. The win came less than 10 months after Francis overcame a knockdown to win a hard-fought decision over Braian Arguello, which took place in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
“I told you (in an interview before the Carrera fight) all I can be is me,” Francis told The Ring Monday. “No one can be me better than I can be me. (The) crowd booed because they wanted a rock-’em-sock’em-style fight, but I stayed calm and took him out.
“What’s next is that I (will) stay in the gym and just prepare for what comes next.”
The 23-year-old Francis is managed by Andrew Smith and co-trained by Derik Santos and father Smith Francis. He is ranked number 12 by the WBA at 126 pounds.
Francis improved to 16-0, 10 knockouts. Carrera, who lives in Navojoa, Mexico, falls to 18-1-1, 14 KOs. In his previous fight on December 20, he knocked out 25-year-old Oscar Mora in the opening round.
In the main event, lightweight contender Gabriel Flores Jr. defeated late sub Dennis Contreras by unanimous decision. Scores were 80-72, 80-72 and 79-73 for Flores, who improved to 25-2, 8 KOs.
The 24-year-old Flores has now won his last four fights since a decision loss to Giovanni Cabrera in July 2022. Father and trainer Gabe Flores, Sr. promoted Saturday’s card.
Contreras, who lives in Guadalajara, Mexico, falls to 24-15-1, 22 KOs. The 32-year-old has now lost his last five matches after winning his previous four.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for The Ring since October 2013 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (California) Star newspaper. He can be reached at (email protected)