13.4 C
New York
Saturday, May 23, 2026

Yamaha boss Fabio calls for change to MotoGP transfer rules after losing Quatararo to Honda


Add Google as a preferred source

Paolo Pavesio thinks MotoGP needs a more ‘structured’ rider market, with Yamaha in the middle of a chaotic silly season.

Reports suggest Fabio Quatararo has signed his contract with Honda Last year, the news broke on the eve of the pre-season test. He then moved quickly to sign Japanese manufacturer George Martin.

Pavesio doesn’t think it’s ‘healthy’ that major rider transfers are being completed before a season has even started. He has since partnered Ai Ogura with Martin, leaving Alex Reigns.

Which MotoGP rider has made the best move so far for 2027?

Bagnaia to Aprilia? Acosta to Ducati? Quartararo to Honda? Let us know!

Ducati's Francesco Bagnaia celebrates on the podium
Photo by Steve Wobser/Getty Images

Paolo Pavesio called the transfer window for MotoGP

Quatararo and Martin weren’t the only big-name riders to choose their 2027 destination ahead of the 2026 campaign. Pedro Acosta signed the Ducati contract Keeping his seat with Marc Marquez in December.

That pushed Francesco Bagna to the outside but he quickly settled with Aprilia to take Martin’s seat. Marco Bezecchi has extended his contract across from Massimo Rivola’s garage.

While none of these moves are confirmed, there should be plenty of announcements after the sport’s new commercial deal begins. to speak Moto.itPavesio said the situation is not good for the sport.

Every quarter In the year He signed a two-year extension with Yamaha through 2024, but has committed ‘50%’ of that deal to another team. Pavesio thinks introducing a transfer window might be wise.

He said: “There is one thing I can say. In my opinion, the situation that has developed this year is not healthy and correct over time. Such an early market will not allow anyone to raise the investments made.”

Does MotoGP need to introduce a transfer window?

Carlos Checa waving to his fans at the Spanish GP
Photo by Gold and Goose Photography/Getty Images

“Then, going into the race, the riders think about what to do now. But knowing that some of the top riders are moving before the championship, on contracts that are standard two-year contracts, means they can’t take full advantage of the 50% investment in the rider.”

I think we need – before we were talking about Liberty, the MotoGP Group – a structural approach, like in other sports, with regard to the transfer windows, during which things stabilize.

The number of early signatures is particularly problematic when full-time riders get their 2027 bikes in June. Quartararo, Bagnaia, Acosta, Martin and several others will be banned from testing the new 850cc machine to ensure they don’t take sensitive information to their new teams.

But it is not clear how exactly the transfer window will be implemented, as the riders will informally agree before signing a contract. In the end, this may not be an insurmountable problem for the MotoGP bosses.





Source link

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -