2.6 C
New York
Saturday, February 21, 2026

Mercado says Martin accepted fight after confrontation


Undefeated rival claims Martin’s team stopped responding before face-to-face forced verbal agreement in Las Vegas

Click here to watch Ryan Garcia Mario Barrios LIVE!

Undefeated contender Ernesto “Tito” Mercado forced Frank Martin to publicly accept a future fight after confronting him face-to-face at Friday’s Las Vegas weigh-in, turning a private dispute into a direct challenge in front of cameras and fans.

Mercado, who holds an 18-0 record with 17 knockouts, said the tension began when Martin’s manager contacted his team about a possible fight but never followed up after receiving his information. The situation escalated when the two fighters crossed paths during weigh-ins for Martin’s scheduled fight against Nahir Albright.

“I’ll take the fight with you,” Mercado told Martin during the exchange. “I handle business, and then we can make it happen. One hundred percent. Just so everyone knows, I’d take the fight in a heartbeat.”

Mercado said he had already privately agreed when contacted, but felt Martin’s team could not move forward.

“I get a text from his manager … he told me if I’m interested in the fight,” Mercado said. “I was like, let’s do it. I sent him my information … I never heard back from him. To me, it’s a duck.”

The confrontation unfolded in full view of the media and fans gathered around the weigh-in stage, preventing either fighter from avoiding the moment. Martin verbally agreed during the exchange, effectively confirming his willingness to take the fight once his immediate commitment against Albright was complete.

Mercado emerged as one of the most aggressive young contenders at 140 pounds, stopping 17 of his first 18 opponents. His recent knockout victory over Jose Pedraza kept his rise intact and strengthened his push for higher-level opposition.

By forcing the issue in person, Mercado removed any doubt about where things stood between them. Martin publicly agreed to the fight, in front of cameras and fans, after previously being accused of being silent when contact was made. The exchange turned a social media dispute into an actual fight possibility, and attention now turns to whether Martin follows through once he gets past Nahir Albright.

YouTube video

Last updated on 21/02/2026



Source link

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -