Haney reposted a message from WBO president Gustavo Olivieri, which included a screenshot of an email saying Davis was rated only as a junior welterweight. The organization confirmed Davis cannot fight for the 147-pound title unless he submits a formal request to enter the welterweight ranks. The WBO said no such request had been made, leaving Davis out of title contention for now.
Eligibility problem emerges
The clarification comes after Davis began targeting Haney following his Jan. 31 win over Jamaine Ortiz, which marked his debut at 140 pounds. Davis has spoken openly about pursuing bigger fights and challenging champions as he moves up to welterweight.
His recent public comments also distanced himself from the sanctioning system that governs title eligibility. Speaking on the “Come and Talk 2 Me” podcast, Davis questioned the value of sanctioning money and the role of championship belts in his career.
“I don’t pay sanctioning fees anymore, I don’t feel like it’s worth it,” Davis said on the It Is What It Is podcast. “I’m a superstar. Superstars don’t need belts. Belts need superstars.”
He continued by expanding on that position.
“Once you become that superstar, what do you pay for a belt? Why throw your money down the drain? It’s like buying a chain. It looks good, but so what? Don’t try to play chess on WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO…but belts don’t matter to a certain extent.”
Under WBO rules, fighters must be formally ranked in a division before they can be approved as title challengers. Several established contenders already hold positions at welterweight, and without an official ranking, Davis cannot be considered for a title opportunity, regardless of public outcry or interest in the bout.
Davis has shown ambition to move quickly to big fights, but the WBO’s confirmation makes clear that the administrative process still determines who can challenge for his title. Until Davis enters the welterweight rankings by requisite request, a fight with Haney cannot move forward.



